I was inspired with this Chinese Ma Po Tofu recipe. Unfortunately I only had time to go to Trader Joe’s and they don’t sell ground pork, so I went with ground beef. Then I didn’t have time to make it for a couple days, which was the fortunate thing, because my MIL came to visit and showed me how to make the real thing family style!
Of course like any good home chef, there were no exact measurements. I used about a 1:1 ratio of meat:tofu. I will try to update this with general amounts of each ingredient the next time I make it. This is what I remember of the recipe:
Ma Po Tofu
- ground pork (or turkey, chicken, or beef)
- corn starch + a bit of water to dissolve
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- black bean paste
- XO garlic chili sauce
- soy sauce
- crushed garlic
- minced ginger
- green onion chopped
- firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- Mix items 1-4 together.
- In a seperate bowl, mix items 5-9 together.
- Brown meat and drain. Set meat aside.
- In the same skillet, warm black bean sauce. Add meat in and stir to combine.
- Add in chopped green onion and diced tofu. Toss to combine. Add soy sauce to taste if needed.
We had this for dinner over white rice. It was so delicious. Such a simple dish and such a comforting taste. Believe me that I mean this as a compliment when I say it’s like an Asian Hamburger Helper….ok, I take it back. It’s way better than that. Try it. You won’t regret it. Oh, I also didn’t have any ginger or black bean paste handy, so we made it without. I will try it with the extra ingredients and some peas like the allrecipes.com version recommended.
TweakedPalate Rating: 9.7 spatulas
Taste: 10 spatulas
Presentation: 9 spatulas
Simplicity: 10 spatulas